Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Men of Generation "Y"

As a single woman in my mid... OMG... LATE 20's I am finding it really hard to find a suitable man in my age group to date. In the 6 years following my separation and eventual divorce from my high school sweetheart husband I have had 1, count them O-N-E actual, semi-serious boyfriend. I have however had my fair share of fix-ups, blind dates, f2f meetings and a few friends with benefits arrangements (FWB). During these 6 years my faith in finding a "gentleman" has slowly deteriorated. Just read the following experiences of mine and you'll understand why.

Shortly after my separation I started so see this one guy. We met through friends and spent hours texting, talking and hanging out. After about a month I found out that he was the cousin of the girl that my soon to be ex was now shacked up with. And even if I could have gotten past that ... there was no way in hell that I could live with the fact that my new man was moving in with my old man. DUNZO

The next guy came along about 6 months later. He also was introduced to me by friends. When we met he was seeing a girl that he'd dated all through high school and no matter how hot he was that made him completely off limits. HOWEVER.... a couple weeks later when his girlfriend took a job on a cruise ship and they broke up... I found myself in my first FWB situation. The great thing about this guy was that he set up the rules from the beginning. There were no strings, no expectations and no worrying if he would call or not. This carried off and on for the next year until his ex girlfriend got back from her year long cruise gig. DUNZO

After that I took a few months off until one night out at my friend's bar this bad boy looking guy started hitting on me. My friend who owned the bar ended up giving this guy my number. And he did call. We saw each other for about 6 weeks when he left to "join the army." Little did I know he'd been stealing from his employer and was probably evading the law and just skipped town. DUNZO

Now... all of this added together with a few bad blind dates turned stalkers and I was now on the road to celibacy. During the next two and a half years I did a lot of soul searching. This was when I was happiest I think. I could stay home on a Friday night and fall asleep on the couch around 10 watching episodes of Sex and the City... clean my house on Saturday and just read a book on Sunday.

So after dodging the douches for over 2 years I found myself in another sticky arrangement. A guy who couldn't or wouldn't commit to anything or anyone... this was on and off and on and off for a year. After a very tumultuous relationship I needed another break. But this break didn't last long. Not quite 2 months.

This is where the semi-serious boyfriend comes in. He and I had been friends sorta.... well peripheral friends. That's how I refer to people that are friends with people that I am friends with lol. We didn't hang out alone... but anytime there was a group function we were both surely there.

I'll save the details of this one for another post when I have more time. Needless to say he and I are no longer. 8 months in, 3 days before my birthday... 11 days before Christmas he dumped my ass. He had no good reason ... he had no reason at all. It was the typical "it's not you... it's me" bull shit and "I just can't give you what you need / deserve" lies. Still haven't decoded the demise of what I thought was a good things but the rumor mills from a 100 km radius states he of course must have been cheating. I'll probably never know the truth. DUNZO

So with all of this in mind... how am I supposed to be able to put myself out there? These Gen Y guys seem to be no good at all. they can't all be like this can they? I'm thinking I need to impose an age restriction ... maybe a  5 year minimum? Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment